Migrate InfluxDB 1.8 data to InfluxDB 2.0 Cloud

Hi All,

Have decided to give the InfluxDB 2.0 Clout a try and there are no options for any command line input. This is fine, but I need to have access to the months of data I already have saved on a local instance of InfluxDB 1.8.

The reason for trying cloud is that my local internet isnt that great, so if it drops out, I lose hours or days of data unless I am checking and re-initialise the connection.

I have the new data (FINALLY) posting to InfluxDB 2.0 Cloud, and am learning Flux query (which I do not find better), but all of the past data (with the same tags, and measurement value names) is not available unless I migrate it.

Please help!

Hello @irwige ,
Welcome!
Yes I agree Flux is difficult at first, I wasn’t a fan of it when I started with it either. Now I get annoyed when having to write InfluxQL. That being said InfluxQL will be supported in the future. Read more about the future of InfluxDB here:

You can use the Influx CLI with cloud.

Here’s an example:

Here’s documentation on upgrading from 1.x to 2.x

Here’s a thread with good info on migration to Cloud

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for the help on this @Anaisdg !

Just to confirm, I am moving from a InfluxDB 1.x hosted locally to InfluxDB 2.x cloud. So not just an upgrade but a transportation of the database to the cloud.

Would the CLI be capable of this (and therefore retaining my data?) or is there more to it than that?

Secondly, just to confirm, am I able to download/save locally my 2.x cloud DB if I ever decide to move away from Cloud to a local install again?

Hello @irwige ,
Please look at the last link for help on migration to Cloud from local. The team is working on creating bulk migration tools to replace that workflow in the near future. Influx is committed to Open Source, so my feeling is that the migration tools would work both ways.
You might find this article about the future of InfluxDB interesting and relevant: