Chronograf not loading InfluxDB connections using .src file

I’m trying to define manually an InfluxDB connection in Chronograf using a .src file as explained in this page:
Managing InfluxDB connections using .src files

This should help me to persist my connection (which has authentication enabled) and prevent me having to edit it each time I relaunch my Chronograf container using docker.

For this I created a file called “influxdbconnection.src” that I mount in “/usr/share/chronograf/resources/” when starting my container.

{
  "id": "10000",
  "name": "My InfluxDB",
  "username": "admin",
  "password": "mypassword",
  "url": "http://influxdb:8086",
  "type": "influx",
  "insecureSkipVerify": false,
  "default": true,
  "telegraf": "telegraf",
  "organization": "example_org"
}

However, the connection is not loaded in the UI of Chronograf. A default connection is displayed but doesn’t correspond to the one defined in the resource file.

I also tried to set the RESOURCES_PATH manually in /etc/default/chronograf as follow:

RESOURCES_PATH=/usr/share/chronograf/resources

But this didn’t help to load the connection.

Is there a way I can debug this issue? I analysed the log of chronogaf but couldn’t find anything related to loading the resource file.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi , is your hostname Influxdb
As you specified here …

“url": “http://influxdb:8086”,

Thanks MarcV for your answer. Yes, the URL was correct.

I finally could make it work by defining the RESOURCES_PATH environment variable in my docker-compose file.

# docker-compose.yml
version: '3.2'
services:
  chronograf:
    image: chronograf
    environment:
      RESOURCES_PATH: "/usr/share/chronograf/resources"

So it seems it was an issue with the docker image and defined environment variables.

2 Likes

This is still an issue. Seems like the documentation or the source should have been fixed by now.

Hello @kramik1,
InfluxDB has released 2.0 GA. The platform and image is different. However this might be helpful GitHub - influxdata/sandbox: A sandbox for the full TICK stack
What exactly is the issue you’re facing? Does the solution above not work for you?

This doesn’t have anything to do with 2.0. The issue has a workaround that was solved in April of last year but the documentation still specifies that it has a default which isn’t true. The image will not do anything with those files until you specify it explicitly. There are a couple of other issues on here and on github that have similar or the same issues with the same problem. This is the only one pointing out the solution.

I will switch to 2.0 sometime in the future. I have pilot program built around this version at the moment.