New to InfluxDB, trying to get Telegraf running on an AWS EC2 with no luck

I’m trying to get InfluxDB working for use with Particle.io, an IoT hardware/software platform. They have a Webhook to get data from a Particle device into an InfluxDB, but because I’m using the InfluxDB-hosted free InfluxDB Cloud version, it seems like I must run my own Telegraf service.

The Particle help docs suggest using a AWS EC2 instance to do this.
https://docs.particle.io/tutorials/integrations/influxdata/

They actually refer to an InfluxDB AMI that had everything ready to go, but that AMI doesn’t exist anymore. I tried launching one of the influxDB AMI instances that do come up, but I can’t figure out how to get telegraf going. Even when I try to download Telegraf using these instructions:
I’m always running into errors.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to simply get a Telegraf service running on AWS?

thanks,
Saket

Hi!

You can spin up any Ubuntu instance on EC2 and use our Linux installation instructions to get Telegraf running.

It should be as simple as:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install telegraf

If this doesn’t work, please let me know and we’ll get it working together

Thanks for response!

I did the sudo apt update, then sudo apt upgrade to actually get the upgrades to take, but I get a “unable to locate package telegrapf” when I try the apt install line.

ubuntu@ip-172-31-12-232:~$ sudo apt install telegraf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package telegraf

This is with a generic Ubuntu EC2 instance I started in the Amazon console (one of their default packages).

Sorry, I’m an idiot. I found the Linux installation instructions here: Installing Telegraf | Telegraf 1.13 Documentation

and realized I didn’t add the Influx repository using that wget command. Once I did that, apt was able to find the telegraf package and start it.

That instruction link did the trick.

1 Like