Dear Mods Don't Close Threads Automatically

Why threads are closed automatically when I select a post as a solution. I need to write back to my thread.

Can you open this please?

1 Like

Hey, that’s Discourse auto-closing them, I’ll see if I can change the settings on that.

In the mean time, I’ve re-opened that topic so you can comment

1 Like

Okay, it was set to auto-close an hour after a comment was marked as the solution, I’ve bumped that up to 12 hours. If you think it should be more, let me know and we can discuss.

2 Likes

Thanks but I’ve never seen it waiting for 1 hour. My threads were always closed immediately. Let me try with this thread.

Edit: OK, now it waits.
Edit 2: I don’t think there is a reason to close the thread at all especially in community sites like this one.

A common strategy used is to close threads after, say, four weeks of inactivity.

I just had the same issue and to me 12h is still not enough, especially because there is a wide variety of timezones on the forum.

This is my case

• The last reply was 15hrs ago
  • I marked the answer but also wanted to add a last reply
  • I couldn’t do that because more than 12hrs were passed since the last answer and the topic was closed

In this case I was receiving help form someone from Canada, while I am in Italy so the difference is ~6hrs (Canada has multiple time-zones)

I’m in favor of auto closing solved topics as it keeps them coincise and easy to browse, but a 12hrs interval is too short to me.

Reopened it.

It seems that even though I told Discourse to wait 12 hours before closing a thread when a solution is marked, it takes that to mean “12 hours from the last reply” and not “12 hours from the time a solution was marked”, which is not ideal