Command Line / Terminal Error "expected identifier"

I’ve been having trouble getting grafana set up and show any data.

I’ve been getting some help from a gentleman over on Community OpenEnergyMonitor forums…

His guidance has helped me a lot, but we hit a snag when he asked me to run a command in the terminal. Giving us an error that he cannot reproduce and has no idea why it’s giving an error.

If I enter the following command:
SELECT * FROM “CELLS”

I get this error:
ERR: error parsing query: found “, expected identifier at line 1, char 15

I’ve created a database called “powerwall”

If I do type: show databases
It’s shows: powerwall

Then I type: use powerwall

Then I type: show measurements
It’s shows: CELLS

Then I type: SELECT * FROM “CELLS”
It shows: ERR: error parsing query: found “, expected identifier at line 1, char 15

According to the gentleman that is his helping me it should not be giving that error. And he’s not sure why and is unable to reproduce it.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it matters but I have both grafana and influxdb installed on a Raspberry Pi that is running raspbian OS.

As far as I can tell I have grafana sit up properly there is just no data showing up. And as far as I know oh, I have grafana set up properly to receive data into the powerwall database not sure why it’s not working. Or basically trying to run the following command mentioned above to see if there is indeed data coming into the database.

Any help would be very appreciated…

@Jon_Coop are you integrating Grafana with InfluxDB 1.8 or 2.0?

@scott
i believe 1.8.5
this is what i get via the terminal

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ curl -sL -I localhost:8086/ping
HTTP/1.1 204 No Content
Content-Type: application/json
Request-Id: a82d96a3-a70d-11eb-8001-b827eb2fa67d
X-Influxdb-Build: OSS
X-Influxdb-Version: 1.8.5
X-Request-Id: a82d96a3-a70d-11eb-8001-b827eb2fa67d
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 04:04:26 GMT

thx for your help

Looking more closely at your original query, it looks like you’re using curly quotes () rather than straight quotes ("). That may be the cause of the issue.

@scott
Wow, I bet you that is the problem.

I was completely unaware that there was two different styles of quotes…

Learn something new everyday lol

When I get home from work I will give that a shot and I will keep you posted. Thanks again for your help

@scott

Well that was the problem… Wrong quotes… Lol

OK but now after I enter:
SELECT * FROM “CELLS”

It shows nothing…

Does that indicate that there is no incoming data to the database?

Is that the only way to check if there is incoming data? Or a way of finding out what might be wrong?

That’s typically what that means, unless you’re not specifying your database/retention policy elsewhere. You could try using a fully-qualified measurement: ("database-name"."retention-policy-name"."CELLS")

SELECT * FROM "database-name"."retention-policy-name"."CELLS"

If that doesn’t work, you can run the following to confirm if there is data or not:

SHOW SERIES ON your-database-name

If that doesn’t return anything, then there’s not data in the database.