View data from a time serie in a specific range of time

So I’m pretty new to timeseries databases, and I’ve come across InfluxDB.
I was trying to use it with quite some success, but I can’t understand the specific use case I need.

I have a sensor that transmits data. I want to store this data (i.e., a temperature over time) in the database. My issue is that my sensor doesn’t transmit 24/7, but I choose when and for how long. After a specific time, it stops transmitting.

Unfortunately, when I go to my dashboard, it shows all the lifespan of the time series, and I have to manually select the time interval I want to see (sometimes I don’t even know when the data has been transmitted).

Is there a way to automatically filter and show only the data inside the time window when the sensor was transmitting?

I’m using Python to push data inside it, if that’s useful.

Nobody used to store non-real time, time series?

Hi @NicoCaldo

For sure what you describe is possible. Are you using Influx Data Explorer to view your graphs, or perhaps Grafana?

What is your time selection set to? Is there a typical amount of time you want to look at (past 5 years, past 5 months, past 5 days, etc.)?

Maybe set your time viewer to past 10 years (or something that encompasses your whole data set) and make this setting?

First of all, thanks for the answer

What is your time selection set to? Is there a typical amount of time you want to look at (past 5 years, past 5 months, past 5 days, etc.)?

It depends. What I’m doing is launching a process that collects data and stores it in the database. I don’t know when it starts or how long it will last. I’m understanding that influxDB can’t automatically window the specific time window, so my solution was to store in a standard SQL database the start and end times of the process so I could automatically window the specific time windows.

Maybe set your time viewer to past 10 years (or something that encompasses your whole data set) and make this setting?

Using your suggestions still gives me blank areas

Anyway, I’ve just found out that Dashboard retains the information so, I can set the specific time window just once and get access to the specific Dashboard to always see the data