Upgrade InfluxDB from 1.8.x to 2.0

Hi there,
since InfluxDB is production ready, I want to upgrade my InfluxDB from 1.8 to 2.0. The official documentation consists exactly this subject and provides the command ‘influxd upgrade’. But there is no upgrade command! There es only: backup, config, help, restore, run, version.
Where is the failure?
Thanks, Adam

@adam, you have to install InfluxDB 2 first. upgrade command is supported in influxd from version 2 RC 1.

Thanks!
Yes that make sense, I saw Version 2 has other commands … and upgrade.

As a follow-up to this (since this title seems generic to the 1.8.x to 2.0 upgrades),

I followed the instructions in https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v2.0/upgrade/v1-to-v2/ and used influxd upgrade against my /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf file. The upgrade went fine, and the logs that printed out showed that my existing databases were converted into buckets: "msg":"Upgrading database ","database":"telegraf"} and then "msg":"Creating bucket ","Bucket":"telegraf/autogen"}. The documentation noted that the 1.x retention policy would be tacked on to the bucket name, which is why the new bucket is named telegraf/autogen since I used the default retention policy in 1.x.

However, I’ve been unable to find the data now that it’s been imported into 2.0. My 1.x /var/lib/influxdb/ wal, meta, and data folders summed to about 4GB, and the 2.0 data storage locations ~/.influxdbv2/meta and ~/.influxdbv2/engine are around the same size, so I know the data was imported.

When logging into the Influx 2.0 UI on port 8086 though, I’m prompted to create a new user/org, and that user doesn’t seem to be able to see the migrated buckets. Furthermore, the user and org I created during influxd upgrade also don’t seem to work for logging into the Web UI.

What’s going on here? Where can I find the data that I’ve migrated from Influx 1.8.3 to Influx 2.0.1?

I figured out the issue here, there was remnant data from a previous attempt at installing/upgrading Influx. I also found that running sudo -u influxdb influxd upgrade to run the upgrade as the user that is created for this service can also help set up permissions correctly.