Migration Data from Influxdb 1.8 to Influx 2.0

Hi,

i would like to migration data from an influxb 1.8 to an influx DB 2.0.

I’ve tried the backup/restore scenario but i get an error:

osboxes@osboxes:~ influx restore /home/osboxes/backup Error: Restore failed while processing manifest files: read manifest: parsing time "0" as ""2006-01-02T15:04:05Z07:00"": cannot parse "0" as """. See 'influx restore -h' for help osboxes@osboxes:~

Is there another process to migrate ?

Thanks

Hello @ced2flux,
I’m not sure what’s happening there. I’m sharing your question with the InfluxDB team. I appreciate your patience.

Hi @ced2flux, I’ll look into the parsing error you hit.

In the meantime, there is an “influxd upgrade” command designed for the 1.x->2.x migration scenario. You can find high-level documentation about the process here. Can you give the command a try and let me know if it works for you?

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve got exactly the same issue. I don’t want to update my production database, so I can’t test influxd upgrade. Is there a recommended way to upgrade from a 1.8 server to a new 2.0 one?

Thanks

Why not this process on your production-replica test bed?

I’ve also got this error message. Has there been progress on this issue or is there another way to restore a 1.8 backup to 2.0

influxd upgrade is the only recommended way to migrate 1.x data into a 2.x instance. The output formats for 1.x and 2.x backups don’t align, so it’s not possible to backup from 1.8 and restore to 2.0.

If you want to avoid shutting down your running 1.x instance to run influxd upgrade on that server, you could:

1. Take a backup of your 1.x instance
  2. Spin up a new 1.x instance on a separate server
  3. Use the 1.x restore command to push your backup into the new server
  4. Shut down the new 1.x instance
  5. Run influxd upgrade to migrate the new server to 2.x
  6. Boot up the 2.x instance
  7. Migrate traffic to your new 2.x instance
  8. Shut down the old 1.x instance

How should I go about setting up a new 1.x instance? I could only find 2.x versions available for download on the official website.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Install InfluxDB OSS | InfluxDB OSS 1.8 Documentation should point you
in the right direction.

Antony.

@kaylani-pnt the downloads portal has instructions for 1.x downloads at the bottom of the page. You’ll need to click the box that says “Are you interested in InfluxDB 1.x Open Source?”

Nice catch. I should have read the page more thoroughly. Thanks!