Memory consumtion increases during import of data

influxdb

Hello community,
we have written a software, that’s supposed to migrate time series data into influxdb.
The size of the dataset that we want to migrate is about 2 billion entries in total spanning across approx. 130k series.
What our migration software does againt influxdb is basicly querying against some not (yet) existing series (getting emtpy results) and sending data time-series wise. So after data is imported it is actually not touched anymore during this phase.

While this is running, we observe a constantly increasing memory consumtion of the influxd process as shown here:

My questions are the following:

• Why keeps memory usage increasing?
  • What can we do to influence this - either by changing settings of influxdb.config or by changing the behaviour of our migration-code?
  • What’s your expectation of memory consumtion importing data of the size mentioned above?

Thanks for your help and comments,
Lars

I would suggest looking at

1. DB Schema
  2. TSi1 option

https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.4/administration/differences/#tsi-release

From my experience, 130K series may be heavy. When you have tags with infinite (or large) value range, the in-memory index grows pretty quick. You may have to change tags to fields and reduce cardinality.
IIRC my database did not fit in 3G when I had 40K series. But as the documentation says memory usage grows exponentially with cardinality, so you mileage may differ a lot.