Inputs.snmp passwords with \

We have Auth and Pro passwords with \ for example “abcd!efgh”

I have to use Single ‘abcd!efgh’ to properly start the service… But its giving me error when trying to collect data from my devices… Am i missing something ? Do i need to do anything special in case password have \ in them besides single quote…

I see below error when i run telegraph --test
When i remove backslash and use another special character such as $ … no issues with collection…

018-01-18T04:13:42Z E! Error in plugin [inputs.snmp]: agent myhostname: performing get on field hostname: Request timeout (after 3 retries)

2018-01-18T04:13:52Z E! Error in plugin [inputs.snmp]: agent myhostname: gathering table interface: performing bulk walk for field ifName: Request timeout (after 3 retries)

2018-01-18T04:14:02Z E! Error in plugin [inputs.snmp]: agent myhostname: gathering table ciscoswfru: performing bulk walk for field cefcPowerRedundancyMode: Request timeout (after 3 retries)
2018-01-18T04:14:12Z E! Error in plugin [inputs.snmp]: agent myhostname: gathering table ciscoswsensor: performing bulk walk for field entSensorType: Request timeout (after 3 retries)

You should only need to escape according to the TOML specification. In the case of "abcd!efgh" no escaping should be required, generally you only need to escape \ and ", using single quotes should work as well.

If my password is something like this “abdc\ef!gh” then i need to specify this as ‘abdc\ef!gh’ no errors with parsing but when collecting i see its unable to communicate to the device with that password…

If my password is something like this “abdc\ef!gh” then i need to specify this as ‘abdc\ef!gh’ no errors with parsing but when collecting i see its unable to communicate to the device with that password…