InfluxDB UI Not working

I installed InfluxDB 2.7.6 on Rocky Linux , every thing works fine except for Web UI. I checked http://hostname:8086, but its not working, not trace on logs as well.

Is there any specific config to enable web ui?

Thank You
Manu

@vmanojv The UI is enabled by default, but it can be disabled using the ui-disabled config option. Are you setting this option in your configuration at all?

What error code do you get in your browser when you visit http://hostname:8086?

I installed using rpm, did not use any option to disable UI.

Below error on browser:

The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

Thank You
Manoj

Ok, that’s just the messaged generated by the browser. Just to make sure, can you provide the response from the following command (assuming you have cURL installed)?

curl http://hostname:8086/health

I am getting ready message, as below:

{“name”:“influxdb”, “message”:“ready for queries and writes”, “status”:“pass”, “checks”:, “version”: “v2.7.6”, “commit”: “3c58c06206”}

Ok, InfluxDB is indeed running. What are the contents of /etc/influxdb/config.toml?

cat /etc/influxdb/config.toml

bolt-path = “/data/influxdb/influxd.bolt”
engine-path = “/data/influxdb/engine”
tls-cert = “/etc/ssl/certs/influx.crt”
tls-key = “/etc/ssl/certs/influx.key”

Ok, so based on the information you’ve provided above, you’re running on a non-default host (localhost), so I think you need to configure the hostname to use in your InfluxDB configuration file using the http-bind-address configuration option:

bolt-path = "/data/influxdb/influxd.bolt"
engine-path = "/data/influxdb/engine"
tls-cert = "/etc/ssl/certs/influx.crt"
tls-key = "/etc/ssl/certs/influx.key"
http-bind-address = "hostname:8086"

After updating your configuration file, restart the InfluxDB service to apply the change and see if the UI works.

Stil no luck, also dont see any error trace in logs.

I tried in one more box, same result.