Influxdb fails after few seconds

Hi, I have 2 Ubuntu servers. I use Collectd on one server to collect data. I set the ip address and port number to enable network plugin to push monitor data to InfluxDB on the second server.
I installed Influxdb on the second server, and set the port number to be the same as the first server.
Now, when I run systemctl start influxdb, the server starts runnig, but if I do systemctl status influxdb after a few seconds, I see the following message:
i nfluxdb.service - InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/influxdb.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: **failed** (Result: start-limit-hit) since Tue 2019-01-22 13:57:18 UTC; 3s ago

Docs: man:influxd(1)

Process: 26176 ExecStart=/usr/bin/influxd -config /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf $INFLUXD_OPTS **(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)**

Main PID: 26176 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Jan 22 13:57:17 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **influxdb.service: Unit entered failed state.**

Jan 22 13:57:17 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **influxdb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.**

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: influxdb.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: Stopped InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database.

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **influxdb.service: Start request repeated too quickly.**

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **Failed to start InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database.**

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **influxdb.service: Unit entered failed state.**

Jan 22 13:57:18 ip-XXX-XX-XX-XX systemd[1]: **influxdb.service: Failed with result 'start-limit-hit'.**

I can’t figure out what is wrong with my configuration, also there is no log file under /var/log/influxdb.

HI @edwardK,

It would be much easier for the community to help if you were to post your configuration.

If you run sudo journalctl -fu influxdb.service and try to start the service, is there any output? I imagine you will need to run two console/ssh connections to do this.

I haven’t used collectd in the past so I’m unsure how it works, but i think the telegraf agent has a plugin to gather the metrics from collectd.

At a random guess, i would think the collectd configuration would need to point to http://yourinfluxdb:8086

If you could post your configs and the output of the journalctl command people might be able to help.

Thanks for the reply, I solved it by giving the full path to typesdb file under [[collectd]] section. However, in the tutorial I used it said that giving the path to the directory will be enough.