Raspberry Pi 4 install issue

Hi all,
I have just done a fresh install of InfluxDB on a 8Gb RasPi4.

When I get to the sudo systemctl start influxdb after the unmasking influxdb I get this error:

Job for influxdb.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status influxdb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

When I run systemctl status influxdb.service this is the output:

influxdb.service - InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/influxdb.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2021-08-03 14:28:28 SAST; 3min 18s ago
     Docs: https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/
  Process: 2884 ExecStart=/usr/lib/influxdb/scripts/influxd-systemd-start.sh (code=exited, status=203/EXEC)

Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: influxdb.service: Service RestartSec=100ms expired, scheduling restart.
Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: influxdb.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: Stopped InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database.
Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: influxdb.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: influxdb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 03 14:28:28 MQTT-Server systemd[1]: Failed to start InfluxDB is an open-source, distributed, time series database.

I’m stuck and don’t know where to go from here - any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance :grin:

Hello @finch6,
Welcome!
Can you link to install docs you followed please?

Hi @Anaisdg,

I had InfluxDB running on my Pi for ages, but I tried to upgrade to 2.0 and didn’t read the beginning… I didn’t have a 64-bit OS on my Pi. Nonetheless, I got to a point where I got an error (same error as above) - I then read back and saw my problem with not having the 64-bit OS.

So I “uninstalled” InfluxDB with sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove influxdb. I then followed this tutorial: #41: Datalogging with MQTT, Node-RED, InfluxDB, and Grafana – SuperHouse Automation

I got the same issue that I got above with the 2.0 install. So I decided to do a complete fresh install… Followed the above tutorial and was surprised when I got the same issue on a fresh install…

I then followed the Influxdb install instructions: Install InfluxDB OSS | InfluxDB OSS 1.8 Documentation and saw they were pretty much the same…

So I don’t know where to go now :man_facepalming:t3:

Hello @finch6,
I’m afraid I don’t know either. Have you seen:

I had not seen that, I will try install InfluxDB again and try this fix. Unfortunately I uninstalled InfluxDB when I thought I had broken It :man_facepalming:t3:

Hello @finch6,
No need for face palm. Hopefully we’ll figure it out together. Thanks for being willing to give it a shot. Fingers crossed.

This will be tomorrow mission :grin:
Just so I know for tomorrow - I should be able to do the install as per normal (using either tutorial?) and when I run into the error, I should just be able to follow the reddit post?

I guess what I’m asking is, the progress I got into the install process was basically the end of the installation? The reddit post should take me all the way?

Will give feedback when I have tried!!

:crossed_fingers:

Keeping those fingers crossed surely helped!!

Ran this sudo systemctl start influxdb to finish the install tutorial got the same error:

Job for influxdb.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status influxdb.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

Ran the command sudo chown -R influxdb:influxdb /usr/lib/influxdb from the reddit post.

Retried sudo systemctl start influxdb and got no error :grin::grin::grin:

InfluxDB is back up and running!! Woooohooo!!

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction @Anaisdg

@finch6,
Yay! Thanks for sharing what worked for you with the community.