Help with BACKUP needed

I am running Influx 1.7.3 on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with RaspbianLinux 9 (stretch).

With all databases in the default location (/var/lib/influxdb) in can backup to an external disk (influxd backup -portable /mnt/Mybckuplocation) without a problem.

I prefer to have the database on an external flash drive and moved the files under (/var/lib/influxdb) to an USB flash drive and adjusted the paths in /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf. Everything works fine except the backup.

Using the same command (influxd backup -portable /mnt/Mybckuplocation) i am getting errors:

Download shard 151 failed copy backup to file: err=<nil>, n=0.  Waiting 2s and retrying (0)...
2019/03/14 09:48:58 
Download shard 151 failed copy backup to file: err=<nil>, n=0.  Waiting 2s and retrying (1)...
etc. etc.

Moving everything back to the SD card and the backup is working again. In all cases owner and group of the involved files are influxdb:influxdb.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue is highly appreciated.

Hi @mash55 ,

do you get errors for all shards ?
Have you checked the file and directory permissions after the copy ?
I can reproduce it by changing the ‘shard’ directory permissions …

If you don’t have errors for all shards , then maybe you have not copied all databases ?
The database _internal for example ?

Thanks @MarcV,
the errors are on all shards. I indeed checked permissions after copying. All files/folders are 755 after the copy and belong to influxdb (icl. group).

Looking at the permissions it occured to me that the USB flashdrive is a vfat partition. I am wondering whether I should change that to ntfs and try again.

Well, switched to ntfs, applied permissions and all seems to work (for now). I will keep an eye on it. Thanks again for your help.