'Expiration Seconds' error occurs when new retention time is >=99999 days?

I’ve set up a process in my application that allows me to send a request to a Golang InfluxDB client, such that a user can update a bucket’s retention time. The form to update the time takes in a number of days, converts that into seconds and then sends that number to the Golang client to update the requested bucket.

However, when I enter a number of days equal to, say, 99999, I will be returned an error from the client:
unprocessable entity: expiration seconds must be greater than or equal to one second

This does not seem to be a problem with magnitude because I can go to a higher amount of days - like 100000 - and the process will work as intended. However it seems to be that a large number of 9s in days causes this problem.

Has anyone else ran into this issue before?

Hello @jos,
I’m a little confused by

large number of 9s in days
are you creating buckets with retentions of seconds or days?
Finally, can you please share some of your go client code?

@Anaisdg

The code works like this:

The client prompt asks for a retention time in days:

The client then sends a message to the server with the bucket’s ID and the new retention time, converted from days into seconds by

daysToSeconds(days) {
    return Math.round(days * 24 * 60 * 60);
  }

The server takes this value of seconds and asks the golang influx package to update the bucket associated with that ID.

bucket, err := influx2Client.BucketsAPI().FindBucketByName(context.Background(), bucketID)
	if err != nil { 
		return err
	}

bucket.RetentionRules[0].EverySeconds = int(newRetentionTime)
_, err = influx2Client.BucketsAPI().UpdateBucket(context.Background(), bucket) // Error occurs here
	if err != nil {
		return err
	}

The error occurs when the bucket is updated. The exact error message is:
internal error: retention policy duration must be at least 1h0m0s

@jos it looks to me like you’re hitting an int overflow when some piece of the system converts seconds → time.Duration (nanoseconds), I’ll try to track it down. The end result will likely still be an error, but with a more-understandable message.

2 Likes
2 Likes

@dan-moran I should clarify that my retention value has been in days, not seconds (that is, the bug happens when I chose 99999 days, not 99999 seconds)