Alerting on InfluxDB2.0 OSS2.0

Hello, New to the whole InfluxDB system, still finding my feet.

This is the setup I am using at the moment:

InfluxDB server in AWS this is fed from Telegraf agent on various windows servers on prem.
I am struggling to get alerting to work correctly, I have setup an alert statuscheck for HD space.
I need this to look at multiple servers (300+) but unsure how to do that in a variable, the next issue I have is the notification endpoint - we dont use slack etc we have a smarthost relay.mx.servername.com:25 how can we use that is there a plugin anywhere that anyone knows of?
Last issue - the actual alert to send out - where does it get formatted? so it states which server has the issue etc - cant see a place to put any information.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction of the above I would be most grateful.

Stu

Hello @ThePeltonian,
Welcome!
You can use http.post() function | Flux 0.x Documentation to configure your own custom notification endpoint.
This video on using Telegram as a notification endpoint to monitor mem usage might prove helpful:
Flux Telegram Package - YouTube

I’m not sure what you mean by “doing that in a variable”. I’m thinking you can just query all of your servers and run the alert task against all your data?
What does your schema look like?

1 Like

Hi @Anaisdg,

thankyou so much for getting back to me, this is my first attempt into time series and its kinda melting my head a little, am used to technologies like foglight and monitoring windows servers.

II have started to look into the alerting etc and can see now how this is structured but I need help with the setting up of a custom endpoint as cant seem to get my head around the process of how to do it.

Does it get added to the influxdb cli config you create? if so how do i create one for SMTP>?

The schema is what telegraf sends to influx i have made no changes

Hi,

I have gone through the suggested “Telegram” tutorial and can see now how you setup the custom endpoint for that, I have been searching and unable to find an “import” that can handle the SMTP the way that Kapacitor used to.

From what I have seen so far I really like InfluxdbV2 and gradually grasping how the various parts work to it, this is the last major milestone for me to get the alerts going through the SMTP server, has anyone any suggestions / examples on how I can do this?

Many thanks in advance

1 Like

Hello @ThePeltonian,
I’m glad you like V2. Thanks for giving it a try and watching the video. I’ll ask around and see if anyone has gone through the SMTP server. In the meantime, please take a look at this thread please:

1 Like

Hello thanks for coming back, as was unable to setup SMTP easily I have moved that functionality to Grafana, and querying from influx.

Having a few teething problems including certain queries - created a new post here https://community.influxdata.com/t/flux-query-help/17831/2

There is the added issue of silence alerts which does not seem an option for a time frame within Grafana, as when patching occurs I would need to silence alerts from certain servers etc for certain days / hours a month

I am getting there and starting to understand the way Influx works and its integrations but still a very long way to go.