Wrapping my head around field keys/values vs tag keys/values

I am learning influx here, and only have a little experience with SQL. I realize that this is a time series database which seems exaclty like what I want. I have a ton of temperature sensors for instance that I want to keep track of and graph.

But it is like I have 3 different temperature sensor poitns, each with 63 sensing points. In my flat data it looks like:

temp0_0 = 2.31
temp0_1 = 1.29

temp0_63 = 9.29
temp1_0 = 9.313

I am thinking I want these to be tag keys/values? Can I skip setting field/keys values I know (or think I did) read that you can go the other way, and skip tags … just curious. Wrapping my head around all this to get data from my sensors into influx so I can mostly graph it easily…and then maybe have other graphs that are queries on it.

Hello @codejoy ,
Welcome! Thanks for giving InfluxDB a try :slight_smile:
Usually temperature data would be a field and something like sensor name or id would be a tag. You can’t skip setting field/key values. You can skip setting tag values.
This resource might be useful to you.

Thanks!

ty, I saw that link earlier. I think that does answer my question. In this case, it seems since the data from each sensor is different that the sensor would be the measurement, with all the fields and I would just indeed skip the tag. Now if we had tiny sensors all over doing the same thing, then I could see tags for separating all those similar but different sensors.