WAL file grows until OOM

Hi,

I’m making frequent writes to influxDB version 1.7.9 (approximately 7k points a minute continuously) and one WAL file ends up growing until InfluxDB runs out of memory. What steps can I take to prevent this from happening?

Note - I’ve tried configuring cache-snapshot-memory-size to be 5m

|4.0K|./data/autogen/236|
|4.0K|./data/autogen/230|
|4.0K|./data/autogen/55|
|4.0K|./data/autogen/42|
|4.0K|./data/autogen/176|
|4.0K|./data/autogen/6|
|163M|./data/autogen|

Late to the party, so you might have resolved this. but assuming you haven’t altered the autogen policy it will retain data indefinitely. You can alter the retention policy duration and data will be “aged” out as it passes the RP, reducing the amount of disk space required.

alter RP

Ya that only applies to disk space, this was an OOM issue. Heres what solved it - From what I could tell InfluxDB was having issues running on a Raspberry Pi 4b. Just out of the box, with nothing going on I could see errors in the logs (I can’t post them since I no longer have this setup) but it was unstable. Switching to new hardware (a Ubuntu server) fixed this issue for me, and I no longer see any errors in the logs.
Not sure if Raspberry Pi’s are officially supported or not, but I had issues with running InfluxDB on mine out of the box

Good point! Still worth looking into though, the more data you store the more Influx will have to comb through. how much memory was in the PI?

If you have quick storage, then enabling TSI indexing (if it isn’t already) will help too.

AFAIK Pi’s are supported. I’ve seen a few articles around the web about it. In fact i think there is a blog on the influx site where someone has set it up. I’ve only ever run the stack on Ubuntu though so couldn’t say how stable it is.

But, you got it working. thats the important bit

Haha yup! And the Pi was 2Gb, so that could’ve been part of the problem (maybe not enough for what we needed). I do recall changing some of the settings in conf and something related to TSI helped, but it still OOM’d like once a week. Super stable on Ubuntu though, the log is nice and clean :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply on this thread and checking in!