Using the community site

Some feedback on the community site given that I am a regular on quite a few technical sites.

The Categories are useful but it feels like there should be specific forum sections added. Rather than having a “Store” category for categorising posts it would be more intuitive to explicitly click into a section of “Store”, aka InfluxDb. Maybe those Categories should always be visible somewhere without having to click into the Categories link to find them.

I can’t see an “Unanswered questions” link to quickly see questions that aren’t answered. Following on from this, there is no way for the original poster to give feedback that the answers provided have satisfied their original question(s). There needs to be some closure on the posts.

It would be nice to see more of a community feel, rather than a big list of questions.
Community blog posts, trending content, links to the rest of InfluxData on the landing page etc.

Also, feels like there is a lack of quick tip videos. Before asking a question then perhaps there is a snippet video that can answer some common questions.

@Rhys_Kirk_TGG Thank you very much for the feedback! [quote=“Rhys_Kirk_TGG, post:1, topic:729”]
The Categories are useful but it feels like there should be specific forum sections added. Rather than having a “Store” category for categorising posts it would be more intuitive to explicitly click into a section of “Store”, aka InfluxDb. Maybe those Categories should always be visible somewhere without having to click into the Categories link to find them.
[/quote]

This site is a Discourse instance so some of these things, like the categories link, I can’t control. So as far as the category naming, you would prefer Store -> InfluxDB to the current setup?

You can sort the posts by number of replies which is a good way to get the unanswered questions. As an admin I can close and archive posts once the questions are answered. Would you prefer that we start doing that?

I’ve done some work to start making that happen. We will be cross posting our blogs
here moving forward. Also I’ll start posting cool community blogs I run into on Twitter like this one from DO.

We do have a videos section on the website, but I agree there are not enough of them! Are there any quick tip videos you would like to see?

Thank you again for the suggestions. I really appreciate hearing what folks are looking for out of this site.

Jack