I’m new to tickstack and snmp and trying to understand the data I’m getting collected into influx related to an snmp request being made through telegraf.
From a shell in ubuntu I run snmpwalk with the following results.
snmpwalk -v2c -ccommunity x.x.x.x 22.214.171.124.4.1.148126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.7
iso.184.108.40.206.1.148220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199 = INTEGER: 0
iso.188.8.131.52.1.148184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.22.214.171.124 = INTEGER: 13
Note: if run multiple times the first oid almost always returns 0, the second generally ranges between 8-15.
In my telegraf.conf I have:
interval = “10s”
round_interval = true
metric_buffer_limit = 1000
flush_buffer_when_full = true
collection_jitter = “0s”
flush_interval = “10s”
flush_jitter = “0s”
debug = false
quiet = false
logfile = “installpath/telegraf/telegraf.log”
agents = [“x.x.x.x”]
version = 2
community = “community”
name = “snmp” # This is used for all the fields, of which there are none (yet).
name = “ap_util”
name = “util4”
oid = “.126.96.36.199.4.1.148188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206.7”
In influx I see a row of data every 10 seconds for util4 with either a value of 0 or ranging between 8-15 (the 8-15 range is what I was expecting to see when I first started looking into why we were getting zeros as a outlier).
- Shouldn’t I be seeing two rows of data in influx? One for each snmpgetnext found during the walk?
- It seems like sometimes influx gets the data for the first returned oid in the walk (~25% of the time) and the second oid returned in the walk (the other ~75% of the time). Are both values being written to the same data row in influx and I’m seeing race conditions with one overwriting the other? Some other explanation?