I am a bit of novice when it comes to InfluxDB but I have been playing with it for about a month.
I am running Influxdb + telegraf + grafana on a Raspberrypi3 and so far I am loving it.
I have two telegraf instances collecting system data from two raspberries (the one on which InfluxDB is installed and another one) and storing them in Influxdb.
I hard a hard wake up call the first time the data started to be compacted, CPU usage 100% and not enough memory errors…
I should have expected it as I was running the autogen RP and in a small week it had stored more than 600MB of data.
I have now created a 30 days retention policy but that
I would now like to dive into sub-sampling data and using Continuous Queries.
I understood I should do the following:
- create a short-lived default RP for the latest data, i.e. 1 day
- create a longer lived RP (not default) fro the subsampled data (i.e. 3 weeks)
- create a CQ that saves the data from the first RP (1 day) into the other RP (3 weeks)
I have a couple of question though:
- the tutorial in the documentation says I should manually create the CQ for each measurement and field. Is there a way to create a CQ and apply it to a whole bucket?
- right now I am using Grafana (or Chronograf) to plot the graphs of the last 1 day but sometime I need to zoom out to identify trends or inspect something that happened more than 1 day ago.
How should I do that if my data are split in two RP (the 1 day and the 30 days)?
I am sorry if these questions might be too novice!