Query returning wrong data

influxql

Hi all, Influxdb is not behaving properly.
I query for the data in the previous 5 minutes, but it is returning me too much data and that too from all the time today.

See in the picture, I have queried the data only of previous 5 minutes. The time of query was 18:02, and it has returned me data from 14:41 , which is nowhere near the previous 5 minutes.

I have to see this data in the map and this data is very crucial for me. Can you tell me what is wrong here, me or influxdb ?

@Luv This looks like a possible bug with ORDER BY. Can you open an issue on InfluxDB?

Can tags be stored as integer ?

@Luv Tags are only stored as strings.

I have stored the speed of the vehicles as a tag, so it means I cannot perform less than OR greater than query on them ? So, it is not possible ?

@Luv That is definitely a non recommended schema choice. Tags are only stored as strings. Storing speed as a tag will also lead to an explosion of series cardinality. If you need to filter results based on speed I would suggest using a sub-query.

@jackzampolin

Suppose if I store speed as field, and perform ( greater than and less than ) query, how will the performance of the query be affected ?

As tags are indexed but fields are not, meaning that field query will take more time.

I am talking about the data of 300 vehicles recorded every minute. So, the query performance will matter as data amount is very high.

@Luv The fastest way to do that would be to use a subquery to filter the results of a more general query. I would encourage you to test it and see how performance is affected.

I will reiterate that writing numeric data as a tag is an actively discouraged schema. That is not the way the database is designed to used.

How much data does each vehicle report each minute?

There are 250 vehicles for now. The IoT sensor sends data every minute or 2 about its location, time, speed and its number. I calculate geohash by python library, and that is also stored.

The vehicles will probably reach 400 count in next year.

For that resolution of data, having the speed stored as a field shouldn’t impact performance. InfluxDB can scan through 1-3 million field values per second.

Additionally, as @jackzampolin noted, storing them as fields will increase the series cardinality drastically and you care about the numeric property of the value which you lose if you store it as a tag.