Not enough space on target disk while upgrade influxDB 1.8.4 to 2.1.1

Hi, I am trying upgrade the influxdb 1.8.4 to 2.1.1, I am using the Automatically upgrade method.
I facing this issue {“level”:“info”,“ts”:1657012603.2982621,“caller”:“upgrade/database.go:223”,“msg”:“Computed disk space”,“free”:“1.0 TB”,“required”:“70 TB”}
Error: not enough space on target disk of /mynewpath/influxdb: need 70374192137748, available 1039031074816

The size of database of version 1.8.4 is 0.9TB, I am not sure why the migrated database needs for 70TB, Any one have any idea why its required disk space almost 70 time of the current database?

Hello @samir_qh,
I’m not sure I’ve never heard of that happening before.
I’ve asked around.

From a colleague:
AFAICT the code for this is literally just checking if there’s room to make a full copy of the database - maybe they’re incorrect about the on-disk size of their existing DB?
I’m impressed you have 70TB in your OSS though. What are you doing with InfluxDB?

// checkDiskSpace ensures there is enough room at the target path to store
// a full copy of all V1 data.
func checkDiskSpace(cli clients.CLI, opts *options, log *zap.Logger) error {

Maybe they have backups or something in there that’s messing up the size calculation?

Hi Ansisdg,

Thank you for your reply and help.

For your information the current size of data for InfluxDB 1.8.4 is around 700GB.
its running on disk size 80TB, the free size is around 55TB.

I tried to do manual migration of data by export it as protocol line, the size of exported data is 17TB, which is something I didn’t understand it, how the size of database is 700GB exported as 17TB!!!???

I know the function checkDiskSpace will check the current free size of disk and also calculate how much disk space required. My issue is why its required 70TB to do the automatic upgrade.

Do you have any idea, why is required all this size ? is there parameter or flag i should send it while doing the upgrade ?