Mutliple telegraf.conf files

Trying to find examples of multiple telegraf.conf files and not finding what I need.

I have 6 devices on my network from which I wish to collect SNMP data. It’s all going into one influx database. I have 4 working well but the last 2 are causing issues so I want to split them all up for ease of problem-solving.

What I want to do is put the output section in the telegraf.cong file and each separate snmp device in its own .conf file in telegraf.d directory.

1/ Will this work!
2/ I can see all the other .conf files go in telegraf.d But, do I need to specify the names of the.conf files in the original telegraf.conf file!

Thanks

Neil

Hi @NVass ,

1/ that should work
2/ you don’t have to specify the names in the original telegraf.conf file ,
all files *.conf in telegraf.d will be loaded

Hey @NVass,

I’ve provided an example of such configuration. Please let me know if this explains what you need:

Thanks Guys,

Pretty sure I can make this work with your comments and Examples.

Have a good Easter Weekend.

Neil

May I change configuration on the fly? or do I have to restart to be able to change configuration.

I need to add or remove devices to Telegraf for collecting data. New network element can be added or one of them can be removed from network. So I need to update Telegraf and I don’t want to restart each time.

You can send a SIGHUP to Telegraf to have it reread the configuration. However currently this behaves very similarly to restarting Telegraf, all plugins are recreated so it is still possible miss an interval.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your response. What about if I use a separate Telegraf for each device. Is that make sense?

Do you mean, for example, running 5 Telegraf on one system to monitor 5 network devices? You could signal each one independently then, and it ought to all work, but it seems like a headache to manage and would probably use a lot more system resources. I usually try to stick to one Telegraf per system, but I know some very large SNMP deploys, with thousands of devices, need to use multiple Telegraf.

2 Likes