List of timer metrics as regex pattern to graph as bar chart

Hi folks,
I’d like to implement a set of metrics which reflects how long is a collection sitting in an “orphanage”.
This means I would have an arbitrary number of items which get put aside and then after a while exit this state.
I’m using micrometer as a library.
In my initial reasoning, I’m thinking of doing a bit of bookkeeping, create a set of Timer meters, when a new element is added to the orphanage I create a new timer with a unique name time_in_orphanage_ID and set it to -1 at first.
Then when the element exits the orphanage I push a new metric setting the total time in the orphanage.
After a while I do some cleanup of the metrics using .remove() which is a micrometer method.
As this means I will have a list of time_in_orphanage_* metrics that changes in time, is this something Influx can graph and what would be the best way to graph it. I was thinking of a classical Bar chart with each item represented as a bar on the x axis and total duration of time in orphanage on the y axis.
How would I prevent showing bars which are expired for a long while?

In alternative, I don’t think it’s possible to add a dimension with micrometer on a Timer but if that was possible I might have been able to have one metric time_in_orphanage and then a id:1234 pair for every timer but I guess this would cause the famous dimension explosion?

Hello @schrepfler,
We’re working on supporting trace data but it’s not ideal atm.

Thanks for the update!

This topic was automatically closed 60 minutes after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.