Issues with influx at boot

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS in a VM. Currently it is running Grafana, Telegraf, and Influxdb

It is all working and the monitoring is awesome, but I am having an issue when it reboots (forgive me as I am a noob and have been searching the internet and forums for 2 days on this)

When it boots and tries to grab influxdb.service it does not work. however, if I stop this and run sudo influxd in the terminal everything starts running perfectly.

I have been trying to figure out how to open a terminal and run this command automatically. I have added @reboot influxd in the root crontab and that didn’t work. I have also tried adding rc.local giving it +X permissions but that doesn’t seem to work either.

I’m sure this is super simple but if anyone can give me a hand that would be awesome.

Just a few questions to help others reproduce/understand:

1. How did you install influx?
  2. What version did you install?
  3. What do you get in the logs for influxdb.service? (run something like journalctl -u influxdb.service)

@glinton’s questions will help us better understand the problem and get it fixed, but my suspicion is that this is a permissions issue. The user you’ve specified in influxdb.service probably doesn’t have permissions to execute the binary. When you run sudo influxd you are starting it as root, which is why it starts without a problem.