Influxdbv2 stopped working, error: nats no servers available for connection

Hi Anthony,
thanks for your response and sorry for my frustration. I have tried now for 3 days on my own to get this working but it wouldn’t work. Sadly this is not my first rodeo on the new 2.0 version of influx. Never had trouble with 1.x

I will try to provide a better explanation.

Sorry, but “or something like that” is not especially helpful when we’re
trying to identify the problem.

Do you still have a copy of exactly what those errors were (maybe in
historical log files)?
Since i cannot post my original logs because docker threw it out of the window, i can only refer to some other threads.

So my first error was this:

2014/02/27 00:00:25 http: Accept error: accept tcp [::]:8086: too many open files; retrying in 1s

Just like posted here a few years back by someone else.
Another one else had the same problem in 2020 when using v2.0 and he said it was resolved increasing the maximum of allowed open files. Since i also only had a limit of 1024 max it made sense to try it. There were also other threads about it, but my browser history can’t find them.
Then i increased the ulimit size with some guide i cannot find anymore. It was basically like this. As mentioned above i tried many different things with the /etc/security/limit.conf file. I only increased it for the user, then also for root, then for user and docker group, then docker only etc. I did every combination and also did some reboots inbetween.
From the very first change i made influx started spewing out different errors, those you see in the initial logs. I wasn’t able to revert the status back to the original errors. Even when i rolled back to the original state of the /etc/security/limits.conf, the influxdb errors stayed the same and not reverted back.
So that brought me to this github post.
I picked up the idea from the initial post over there and tried to figure out if it might be a weird parameter issue, where i need to specifiy the path of this so called engine implicitly. The engine apparently is the data folder, so literally my database. So i tried some other locations for that folder and adding the parameter or removing it and doublechecking permissions of those folders. But that did not help either.
So what i meant with “the data is of course gone” was my realization, that this engine path is indeed the database data [data/, wal/] and of course i cannot move it, otherwise influx would not be able to open the database. So i am Starting to think that my database might be corrupted, but honestly, i have no ideas anymore.

Thanks