InfluxDB Query Assistance

Help clarifying this would be appreciated. I’m running this inside of the Chronograf UI.

Background
———————-
I have a Linux machine running Telegraf. Every 30 seconds, data is sent to InfluxDB. One of the inputs configured for Telegraf is ‘disk’. The Linux machine reports multiple devices and it would look something like this.

time (secs) machine_id device used_percent
———————————————————————————————
t1 m1 rootfs 10
t1 m1 tmpfs 2
t1 m1 devfs 20
t2 m1 rootfs 11
t2 m1 tmpfs 1
t2 m1 devfs 14

Running the following query, I expected to get all rows in the example table above. Note, t0 is <= to all example times in the table.

SELECT “used_percent”,”machine_id”,”device” FROM “mydb”.”my policy”.”disk" WHERE time >= t0s order by time

Actual Results:

time(secs) machine_id device used_percent
t1 m1 tmpfs 2
t2 m1 tmpfs 1

It appears that multiple devices stored with the exact same time are not all returned. It may be returning the first one stored. I would like all the rows.

Discovery #1
————————
if I add a group by device, all rows are returned:

SELECT “used_percent”,”machine_id”,”device” FROM “mydb”.”my policy”.”disk" WHERE time >= t0s order by time group by “device”

Discovery #2
————————
if I add a where clause with two devices, only one is returned:

SELECT “used_percent”,”machine_id”,”device” FROM “mydb”.”my policy”.”disk" WHERE time >= t0s and (“device”=‘rootfs’ or “device”=“tmpfs”) order by time

time(secs) machine_id device used_percent
m1-t1 m1 tmpfs 2
m1-t2 m1 tmpfs 1

Discovery #3
————————
if I add a where clause and request one of the devices not returned by default, the requested data is returned:

SELECT “used_percent”,”machine_id”,”device” FROM “mydb”.”my policy”.”disk" WHERE time >= t0s and “device”=‘rootfs’ order by time

time (secs) machine_id device used_percent
t1 m1 rootfs 10
t2 m1 rootfs 11

Am I missing something with regard to selecting all data? I could see this causing unexpected problems if there are multiple machines that report the same data at exactly the same time, e.g. using the ‘memory’ stat:

time (secs) machine_id used_percent
t1 m1 10
t1 m2 20
t1 m3 22
t2 m1 21
t2 m2 25
t2 m3 18

SELECT “used_percent”,”machine_id” FROM “mydb”.”my policy”.”memory” WHERE time >= t0s order by time

My guess is that only one row per time period would be returned unless I added a group by machine_id.

Thanks.

This may be a Chronograf issue. I connected to the InfluxDB container and ran the query via the terminal. All data was returned.

Hello @hcrocker,

That’s very likely. What version of Chronograf are you using and what visualization type are you using?

Thanks,

Anais