Failed to Install telegraf on Windows 10

I have a small Windows 10 64 bit machine already running InfluxDB and Grafana and I want to Install telegraf to collect local metrics.

Download is: telegraf-1.9.5_windows_amd64.zip

However, every time I use Powershell as Administrator to install it, I get:

2019/03/03 11:30:51 E! Failed to install Telegraf Data Collector Service: InstallAsEventCreate() failed: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\Application\telegraf registry key already exists

I have searched the Registry for “telegraf” and am 100% sure it’s clear.

Any ideas, please!

Did you try running the telegraf.exe --service uninstall command before trying to install again?

In case you haven’t seen it, check out the following InfluxData blog: Running the TICK Stack on Windows.

Steve

@steve.bang im following the InfluxData Blog. Telegram is as service already installed and running. I get no data from telegraf (Win10 Client) to Docker (InfluxDB). My Win10 Host isnt listed in my Grafana Host selection :confused:

I’ve run in to same problem, i used as workarround a custom servicename:
YOURPATH\telegraf.exe -service install --service-name YOURSERVICENAME
e.g.:
C:"Program Files"\Telegraf\telegraf.exe --service install --service-name telegrafServiceInstance-1

here a link to more detailed description how to install the service:
https://github.com/influxdata/telegraf/blob/master/docs/WINDOWS_SERVICE.md

Remove that entry in the error message from your registry. Should work then, be careful though!

That should then let it install.

If it’s installed as windows service already, stop the service then in an elevated cmd prompt

sc delete service-name.

Might still be worth checking the registry afterwards.