Error Max values per tag limit exceeded InfluxDB

I am facing max values per tag limit exceeded issue when trying to write 200k points to Influx DB (version 1.2.4) through Java by specifying the batch size and poll interval in enableBatch method. I have also set max-values-per-tag = 0 in /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf but still facing the following issue.

SEVERE: Batch could not be sent. Data will be lost
org.influxdb.InfluxDBException: {“error”:“partial write: max-values-per-tag limit exceeded (100453/100000): measurement=“samplemeasurement” tag=“sampletag” value=“samplevalue99195” dropped=806”}
at org.influxdb.impl.InfluxDBImpl.execute(InfluxDBImpl.java:511)
at org.influxdb.impl.InfluxDBImpl.write(InfluxDBImpl.java:312)
at org.influxdb.impl.BatchProcessor.write(BatchProcessor.java:248)
at org.influxdb.impl.BatchProcessor$2.run(BatchProcessor.java:278)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:511)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:180)
at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:293)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1142)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:617)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Did you re-start the instance after making the config change?

Error message indicates that the default limit is still in place.

Yes Tim I have restarted the DB server after making these changes

@garimella_shashank,
Were you able to resolve your issue? If you did, can you please post how your resolved your issue for the community?

I ran into the same issue with my docker container, I ended up just passing in an environment variable to disable the threshold.
INFLUXDB_DATA_MAX_VALUES_PER_TAG=0

Also, if you haven’t already, you can run influxd config to see the running config.

1 Like

@ peter.gallerani

Excellent, thank you!