Create hourly kWh from kW data - CQ, Kapacitor, or Flux?

I’ve been a casual user of InfluxDB. Mostly using Telegraf for stuffing MQTT data into Influxdb and Grafana to visualize. I’m using that to save kW data from energy monitoring. I would like to generate hourly kWh data from this rate data, so that I can later use Grafana to capture energy usage per month/week/day, etc. Basically, take the average of the kW data over that hour and generate a single data point that is the kWh energy usage for that hour.

There is a lot of kW data. So I don’t think I can do this wholly within Grafana in real time (too much data to process/integrate). From what I’ve gathered, if I generate hourly kWh data, it’s much more manageable. And it looks like I can do this with continuous queries, Kapacitor, or Flux.

Considering what I’m trying to do, is there an obvious choice? I don’t really understand the pros/cons of each option. Is there another option I should consider? I have Influxdb 1.8.0 running on a few year old Intel i5. I’d prefer something easy to maintain.

Hello @Eric,
I apologize for the delay. Sometimes questions get buried. I recommend using Flux (Flux is the future for InfluxDB). It’s much more intuitive and easier to debug (also Kapacitor support is decreased significantly for OSS). However in order to run Flux in a task (Flux + task = CQ), you’ll need InfluxDB 2.x. If you’re unable to upgrade, I recommend using Continuous Queries.