I have read the docs, searched through Github issues and this forum. However, couldn’t find definite answers to the questions that I have.
I’m storing financial data in Influx - it’s not a huge amount, but I have no need for any retention policies other than the INF one. The dataset would consist both of raw market data coming from different sources and manually downsampled/derived series.
I’m mostly concerned about operational issues that I might run into due to inappropriate data placement across databases/retention policies/series. After some reading I think that the following would work, however I’d like to obtain some validation
- database per source of data - this allows independent backup/restore
- everything in a single
autogenretention policy - can’t see any drawbacks to doing that
- measurement per type of data stored with a different
epoch(e.g. raw with
ms, 5min with
m, etc) - really I couldn’t find any information on the special meaning or implications on choosing a measurement vs tag.
And the questions:
- What do I lose by splitting the data out into separate databases?
- Are there any known drawbacks to having everything in the
- Is there a problem with storing everything in the same measurement given the field set is the same?
- If I backup the databases at different points in time and then restore either a subset of them or backups made at different times - will the metastore be in good shape? (Will test it out once I have some time)
Thanks in advance!