Telegraf log parser load initial data only

windows
telegraf

HI ,

Im tying to load some IIS logs into influx but im having a weird issue telegraf is loading all the logs and the stop loading new entries…

this is the config

[inputs.logparser.grok]
## This is a list of patterns to check the given log file(s) for.
## Note that adding patterns here increases processing time. The most
## efficient configuration is to have one pattern per logparser.
## Other common built-in patterns are:
## %{COMMON_LOG_FORMAT} (plain apache & nginx access logs)
## %{COMBINED_LOG_FORMAT} (access logs + referrer & agent)
patterns = ["%{TIMESTAMP_ISO8601:timestamp} %{IP:sourceip} %{WORD:method} %{URIPATH:uristem} (?:-|%{NOTSPACE:uriquery}) %{POSINT:port} (?:-|%{NOTSPACE:username}) %{IP:clientip} %{NOTSPACE:useragent} %{NUMBER:status} %{NUMBER:substatus} %{NUMBER:win32status} %{NUMBER:timetaken}"]

## Name of the outputted measurement name.
measurement = "bzppr_iis"

## Full path(s) to custom pattern files.
custom_pattern_files = []

## Custom patterns can also be defined here. Put one pattern per line.
custom_patterns = '''
    timezone = "Local"
'''

## Timezone allows you to provide an override for timestamps that 
## don't already include an offset
## e.g. 04/06/2016 12:41:45 data one two 5.43µs
##
## Default: "" which renders UTC
## Options are as follows:
##   1. Local             -- interpret based on machine localtime
##   2. "Canada/Eastern"  -- Unix TZ values like those found in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
##   3. UTC               -- or blank/unspecified, will return timestamp in UTC

this is how its look on the graph
SELECT count(“status”) AS “count_status” FROM “telegraf”.“autogen”.“bzppr_iis” WHERE time > :dashboardTime: GROUP BY :interval:

I don’t understand what the expected output is, is the problem that the graph line should continue until the end of the selected time range?

@daniel i expect output is that new enteritis in the log file will be written to influx

Is there any event occurring when the log entries end, in particular does it stop when the logfile is rotated?

i didn’t understand the question

This is the scenario lets say i configure the log parser with the from beginning true

2017/08/15 10:47:26 Seeked D:\InetLogs\W3SVC1\u_ex170815.log - &{Offset:0 Whence:0}
the logs are written to file , but lines that appear in the file after 2017/08/15 10:47:26 wont written to influx .

if i set the from begging to false noting is written to influx.

I think you are running into issue #2981, it seems there are some issues with this plugin in Windows.

1 Like

@daniel this is it ?
do you think it will be merged soon ?

I think there is a good chance this would fix it but my comments on the pull request need to be addressed before it can be merged.