Relationship between Retention Policy and Shard Group Duration

I am now a beginner with InfluxDB.
What i am confused is Relationship between Retention Policy and Shard Group Duration after reading this article (Simplifying InfluxDB: Shards and Retention Policies | InfluxData)

What i know is that default retention policy(autogen) infinitely stores data and never remove it.
But in the article above, it says time-series data is stored on shard group and If nothing is specified, the shard group duration defaults to 7 days. And InfluxDB drops an entire shard group if duration expired
For me, this description conflicts with default retention policy which store data infinitely.

What I’m curious about is what happens if retention policy and shard group duration is default. Is data permanently stored? or is shard group dropped? What happens?

Hello @Mangkyu,
Welcome!
May I ask why are you using InfluxDB 1.x?
I would recommend using 2.x so you don’t have to worry about creating retention policies ( you only have to set a retention period). Shard group just defines when data is moved from memory to disk. Shard group duration is different from the retention policy. The shard and the data in it is moved to disk after 7 days.

Hello @Anaisdg
I’m currently using InfluxDB 1.8, so maybe I should consider using 2.x.

Thank you for your kind explanation so I could understand what it means
Thank you very much!

1 Like