Newbie has newbie problem

I am running this tutorial/example using InfluxDB for the 1st time on my RPi4b:
ESP32/ESP8266: Send BME280 Sensor Readings to InfluxDB
I followed the instructions initially from a YouTube video until I realized it was the same as the printed tutorial. However I think I might have made an error when I did the initial setup of InfluxDB because I do not see the measurements listed under filter “_measurement” when I try to add a cell as instructed in the tutorial, The serial output of the ESP8266 says it is connected to WIFI and InfluxDB, and it seems to be writing the measurements as observed in the serial monitor, the only concern being that each measurement number is directly followed by a lowercase “i”:

13:58:27.389 -> Writing: measurements,device=ESP8266,location=office,sensor=bme280 temperature=983i,humidity=983i,pressure=983i

Please see attached screen shots. I am not using the sensor I am just incrementing integer values to serve as the measurements. Can you say why the measurements are not showing in InfluxDB?

Here is a link to the sketch file as I can’t upload files:
InfluxDB_Test1.txt

I’d really appreciate any help to get up and running, thanks.

Hello @perigalacticon,
This line:
13:58:27.389 → Writing: measurements,device=ESP8266,location=office,sensor=bme280 temperature=983i,humidity=983i,pressure=983i
Indicates that you will write a line with a measurement name of “measurement”.

The “i” at the end of the field values in your InfluxDB line protocol data indicates that these values are integers. In InfluxDB’s line protocol, adding an “i” to the end of a value is the way to explicitly specify that the value is an integer. If you do not include the “i”, InfluxDB assumes the field value is a float (floating-point number). This distinction is crucial because it affects how InfluxDB stores and allows you to query the data.

The “i” at the end of the field values in your InfluxDB line protocol data indicates that these values are integers. In InfluxDB’s line protocol, adding an “i” to the end of a value is the way to explicitly specify that the value is an integer. If you do not include the “i”, InfluxDB assumes the field value is a float (floating-point number). This distinction is crucial because it affects how InfluxDB stores and allows you to query the data.

In the script you provided, you are incrementally increasing the temperature, humidity, and pressure variables and then sending these values to InfluxDB. Since these variables are defined as long, adding an “i” to their values in the line protocol data correctly reflects their data type. From this bit:

temperature = ++temperature;
humidity = ++humidity;
pressure = ++pressure;

It is very strange that you’re not seeing the data populating in the UI. Although sometimes the UI is known to have bugs. Are you able to query for your data using a client library or CLI?