Is Discrete FFT possible with flux?

Is implementing FFT like described in this article possible in Flux language? I suppose the answer would be yes so long as flux supports recursion? Thanks.

Hello @generic_coder,
I think so?
You might be interested in utilizing reduce(). Do you have any interest in contributing a Flux contrib package? If so, we’d love to help!
I can recommend these resources to get you started:

This is a PR with median absolute deviation and linear regression using reduce to offer more suggestions.

Hello and thank you for your response. I might be, depending on how feasible it is. Currently I need FFT done on data but extracting from and writing to InfluxDB seem to be where the biggest performance penalties are incurred. Thus if I can perform FFT without ever have to move the data from/to Influx, this would be ideal.

Currently after some investigation, I am not sure it will be possible with Flux. These are the challenges:

1. How can I group data into X number of contiguous records? I.e. grab all data from t1 to t2, window by every X = 1024 records (I know you can group by every “time unit” but in my specific case I need to specify a 1024 FFT).
  2. Assuming I can group records into 1024 sized groups, how can I ensure the time delta between any two records does not exceed a threshold?

I’m beginning to wonder, if flux cannot do this, can flux call upon the power of lower level optomized languages like C or Fortran? Thanks.

1 Like

Hello @generic_coder,
I’m looking into it right now, and I’ll get back to you asap. I also want to recommend that you join the Slack Workspace and join the #flux channel to get more assistance. We’d love to help you contribute this. Please tag me Anais and Michael Hall and Nathaniel cook.