Best Practices for Tagging

• Background: Primary expertise is with SQL Server
  • Scenario: I’m working on a package to install telegraf across my environments using AWS Metadata that my install package is parsing (as telegraf doesn’t yet have native aws metadata pull from what I can tell).
  • Scaling: Up to 100 servers once I scale up

Duplication of Tag Data Concerns

Question: If I include 4-8 global tags for telegraf, and proceed to capture various performance monitor metrics, does this mean each series in InfluxDB will duplicate all that data, even though it won’t change until I tear down environment and rebuild?

Example Of What I'm Thinking Through

CPU Usage %. Tagged with name, env, machinetype,accountnumber
Question: Does this mean each 60 second entry now has all this information on each “row” and is duplicating the storage of that, resulting in a much larger size, or is it stored in a metadata type table that helps prevent duplication in storage for performance reasons, since the metadata won’t change very often?
similar to

win_cpu, name=taco1,env=taco1,accountnumber=taco1,region=taco-west,instanceid=taco1 cpu_usage=.032 110293029320 win_cpu, name=taco1,env=taco1,accountnumber=taco1,region=taco-west,instanceid=taco1 cpu_usage=.032 110293029322 win_cpu, name=taco1,env=taco1,accountnumber=taco1,region=taco-west,instanceid=taco1 cpu_usage=.032 110293029323

I’m a SQL Server guy, and I know InfluxDB is significantly different, so any links or education on this would be great.

Hi @sheldonh ,

tags are stored as metadata ,

here is a good introduction :slight_smile: