High memory usage problem

FWIW, I too have high memory usage (influxdb-1.2.0-1.x86_64 on Centos 7). Every day the memory usage grows, our monitoring alerts, then Influx does some sort of clear-out and then it’s fine for a while again. Queries are impacted by high memory and the clean-up though.

I looked into it and checked all the suggested things like the number of fields, tags and measurements. I couldn’t ever figure out how I could realistically change any of the data to be more ‘influx-friendly’ - not that I imagine our data is perfect, but as far as I can see, we’re just pushing it too hard (which is a shame, because we’ve got loads more possible uses for Influx that we can’t start to implement).

IMHO, I’d like to see some way to limit the various memory pools that Influx has (like you can with most RDMSes) so that I could tune it to fit in the available RAM. If I limit something, then I can accept that it will cause more data to be kept on disk rather than in RAM, with the consequent reduction in performance. At the moment though, it feels very much like I don’t have proper control over the server.